Recent opinions |
About the open i
open i's 1999 Archive
Note to Editors: While the information on
this website is copyrighted, you are welcome to use it as is
provided that you quote the source and notify the author.
If copy is of interest to you, but you find it a little dated and/or not quite suitable for your readership and you wish to use it with revisions, contact the
author. In most instances I should be able to revise it at short
If you wish exclusive us of copy, again contact the author and this can be arranged.
Caution: Be warned Opinion and
Analysis like fresh fish and house guests begins to smell after a few
days. Always take note of the date of any opinion or analysis. If you want
an update on anything that has been be covered by the open i, contact the author .
Opinion & Analysis: Opinion without
analysis or reasoning and Analysis without opinion or conclusion are
equally useless. So Opinion and Analysis are a continuum. Copy that puts
emphasis on and quantifies reasoning is identified as Analysis. In the
interest of readability the presentation of analytical elements may be
abridged. If you require more than is presented, contact the author.
Retro Editing: It is my policy generally not
to edit material after it has been published. What represents fair
comment for the time will be kept, even if subsequent events change the
situation. Understanding the wisdom of the time is of value. Struck-out
text may be used to indicate changed situations. Contact the author for explanations.
The body of the text of anything that proves to be embarrassingly
fallacious will be deleted, but the summary will be retained with comment
as to why the deletion has occurred. This will act as a reminder to the
author to be more careful.
NR13 5HD, England
phone: +44 1603 705
top of page
By date of publication, 1999
top of page
- December 10, 1999: France's Ban On UK Beef Still Has Plenty Of Life
A Plan To Improve EU Food Safety Could Offer Paris A Graceful Exit
- Bridge News Forum Opinion by David Walker
- December 7, 1999: WTO's Circus at Seattle: That the opposition to the WTO, has emerged so early, was aimed at non-economic issues and sought a roll back of past gains, might be seen as creating unsumountable challenges for the WTO. The pay-off for what seemed to be an open invitation to the oppostion will occur later.
- November 30, 1999: French Tactic In Beef War With UK May Backfire, Legal Quirk Would Exclude Meat From Many EU Countries, While Forcing France To Accept British Imports - Bridge News Forum Opinion by David Walker
- November 29, 1999: To date only the Commission has played a major role in the Anglo-French beef trade dispute. If the European Parliament prevents the French finding a political solution in the European Council, Britain may yet end up taking its case directly to the European Court of Justice.
- November 22, 1999: Treading The Path Between Trespass And Tradition - Debate Intensifies Over Public Access To Britain's Privately Owned Countryside - a Bridge News Opinion by David Walker
- November 22, 1999: ANALYSIS: Intervention and UK Cereals Market - Outlines the role of Intervention in UK cereal markets, reviews how the EU intervention support mechanism has been eroded and illustrates this over the last 30 months - featured in HGCA's MI Prospects.
- November 21, 1999: That officials in Brussels have decided that France can legally require British beef to be labelled as such has been hailed as a way out of this trade dispute. More important is the potential loss of the common market if it sets a pecedent.
- November 12, 1999: Do The French Have A Game Plan For The Beef Trade War? A Seemingly No-Win Strategy To Continue The Ban On British Imports May Disguise A Plan To Score Points Against EU Later - a Bridge Forum Opinion by David Walker
- November 8, 1999: A voluntary agreement between the British government and the ag. industry for a three-year delay on the commercialization of GM crops , but continued field scale biodiversity trials, avoids cumbersome regulation/legislation and keeps the issue off the formal political agenda.
- November 4, 1999: The Anglo-French beef trade situation over the last 48 hours has become a little clearer in some areas, and less so in others. On balance, however, the prospects for a reasonably prompt lifting of the embargo have improved.
- November 3, 1999: Seven possible explanations of the unexpected outcome of yesterday's meeting between the English and French over their beef trade dispute.
- November 2, 1999: Will Science Triumph Over EU Trade Politics? As Backlash Looms, French Would Be Wise To Accept Safety Panel's Support For British Beef - a Bridge Forum Opinion by David Walker
- October 27, 1999: Outlook Is Bullish For Continuation Of Beef Trade War, Market Forces May Compensate British Farmers For French Insistence On Banning UK Imports - a Bridge Forum Opinion by David Walker
- October 18, 1999: Altered -Food Debate Cools Down In Britain - the Biotechnology Knowledge Centre
- October 14, 1999: Autumn Cools UK's Debate On Genetically Modified Food, Public Grows Weary, Environmentalists Become Conciliatory, And Food-Safety Issue Is Perceived As Anti-Trade - a Bridge Forum Opinion by David Walker
- June 21, 1999: ANALYSIS: Drilling with the Market in Mind: In the past UK farmers have based plating decisions on EU farm policy. As EU prices approach world levels markets will play a larger role. Frmers should actively seek forward pricing opportunities when changing their cropping plans to take advantage of market prices - featured in HGCA's MI Prospects.
- May 25, 1999: Media Misses The Point On Genetically Modified Food, Blair Government Is Accused Of 'Spin' Job, As Gap Between Facts And Fears Grows In Britain - a Bridge Forum Opinion by David Walker
- May 6, 1999: There's More Than Beef On The World's Trade Menu - EU's Politically Motivated Ban Jeopardizes Long-Term Success Of WTO - a Bridge Forum Opinion by David Walker
- March 30, 1999: Agenda 2000: EU Leaders' Gift To Farmers May Have Ulterior MotiveLeaders' Surprise - Budget Increase For Agriculture is Likely To Appease The Newly Emboldened European Parliament - a Bridge Forum Opinion by David Walker
- February 25, 1999: Images drive biotechnology issue - a Journal of Commerce Guest Opinion by David Walker
Maintained by:David Walker
. Copyright © 2001. David Walker. Copyright & Disclaimer Information. Last Revised/Reviewed: 010208